Being on The Open Performance Team…
Athletes on our Open Performance Team are committed to the pursuit of competition results and/or significant and noteworthy outdoor objectives. Team members are dedicated to training and growing the community. They are also willing to be coached in the realm of training methods, communication skills, professionalism and new concepts are essential. Athletes are not required to be Climb Base5 members.
The Open Performance Team members are not only expected to maintain a high performance and excellence in their athletic development, but members also following a strict program. This program includes two days of coaching per week and a personalized training program. Athletes have access to coaching at events and input from other sport science professionals (access to physiotherapist and other professionals may require additional user fees). Team members will be expected to give back to the Base5 community through mentoring, event support and roles within team logistics.
The 2016/2017 Open Performance Team and noteworthy accomplishments:
- Sean Beaudoin
- Maria Celkova – Multiple Boulder World Cup appearances
- Hojin Jo
- Ayesha Khan
- JJ Mah – Two-time Youth Continental Climbing Champion
- Kate Mah – Seven-time Canadian Youth National Lead Climbing Champion
- Tiffany Melius – 2016 Australian Bouldering Champion, Multiple podiums SCBC events, Multiple appearances at World Cup bouldering events including a semifinal
- Kyle Murdoch – Multiple podiums youth national events in lead and bouldering
- Simon Parton – V15 redpoint (2nd Canadian) – Terremer, Hueco Tank
- Derek Runions – 5.13a – Just Can’t Do It, Chek Canyon
- Eric Sethna – Five-time Youth National Lead Climbing Champion
- Tosh Sherkat – BC Difficulty Champion 2015
- Alannah Yip – National Lead and Boulder Champion, Multiple semi-final appearances Boulder World Cup
Andrew Wilson – With over 20 years coaching including 10 years as National Team Head Coach, Andrew is one of the most experienced competition climbing coaches anywhere. He loves the athlete/coach relationship and is passionate about the psychological processes of performance.
Len Chong, BScPT, BSc – After an athletic career in high level gymnastics, Len found climbing and has pursued it passionately while finishing his Physiotherapy degree in Australia. He excels at the biomechanical analysis of climbing movement and training methods. Len is also the resident “fixer” of all manner of athletic ailments He works at Salus Physiotherapy in Vancouver.
Latest news about our open performance team.
Applications are now closed.
See below for more information.
- To identify up to 6 men and 6 women (16 years old and older) for selection to the Base5 Open Performance Team (there are 6 new spots available for the 2016/2017 season). Athletes selected will represent Base5 with the specific goals of competing and performing at the highest level of the sport.
- To evaluate athletes in multiple performance areas including: physical abilities, technical abilities, leadership skills, communication and dedication/commitment.
- To provide prospective athletes a clear understanding of the expectations and responsibilities that selection to the team requires.
Team Selection Process and Deadlines
Team selections will be made based on 3 components:
- Online Application – Athletes will submit an application that includes a bio, climbing resume, competition or performance climbing history, training history and future goals. Online applications must be submitted no later than 12AM PST, August 2nd.
- August Assessment Camp – Following the review of online applications, the panel will invite selected athletes to this assessment camp that will take place from August 20-21 from 8am to 3pm. It will be two days of physical, technical, tactical and performance assessments. Athletes will participate in comp simulations, movement and technical drills, strength and postural evaluations and other activities. All athletes will receive a report containing coaches’ observations and recommendations. Invitations to the Assessment Camp will be sent no later than August 7th.
- Interview – To be conducted at the August Assessment camp.
Team Selections will be made no later than August 27th.
The panel who will decide on the athletes to join Base5’s Open Performance Team will include team coaches (Andrew Wilson, Matt Johnson, Len Chong) and the owner of Base5 (Dan Poggi).
*Note: if an athlete is invited for the August Assessment Camp, the cost to attend the Camp will be $65+gst.
Session #1 – September 10 – February 28. $350+gst.
Session #2 – Mar-May. Cost and scheduling TBA
Apply Now - Application Form
The application deadline was 12AM PST, August 2nd.