UPDATE (June 5th, 2019) – Thanks to all the athletes, sponsors, staff and volunteers who made this year’s Defying Gravity a HUGE hit! The event brought together 38 teams made up of 114 climbers who climbed together, fell together and stayed together all day to have fun and challenge themselves.
Thank you for your ability to be creative, be silly and have fun. Thank you for blowing my mind with the worlds best beta breaks I did not even think was possible. Thank you for making climbing a team sport, and joining in the ridiculous fun.
… and the results:
1. Blue-Ts and the Beast
2. Pink Unicorns
3. We Don’t Know
1. Traversing Tarantulas
2. We Tried
3. Asian Gang
1. Crimpin’ Crushers
2. Fellowship of the Cling
3. Crimpin’ Ain’t Easy
Muchos gracias Sponsors and Swag providers!
- Black Diamond
- Bomber Climbing
- Boulder Denim
- Hornby Organic
- Kushala Yoga
- Mickey’s Pub
- Static Climbing
A special thanks to staff member Lukas Dapkus who helped out all day, assisting with volunteers… and was the inventor of the Hanging Jenga game!
We’re organizing our third Defying Gravity! A first of its kind team-based bouldering event on June 1st. Defying Gravity wasn’t your average climbing comp in 2017 or 2018 and we intend to keep it that way.
Based on the overwhelming interest, support, and fun people had with the last two years at the Defying Gravity bouldering competition, we’re bringing it back again for its third year. And we can assure you, the third time is going to be a charm. There’s going to be more challenges and games that’ll make this “not-your-average” and the most unique climbing comp of the year in Metro Vancouver!
It’s going to be about teamwork. It’s going to make you laugh. It’s going to make you think outside the box while experiencing climbing in a completely different way. We are keeping it about teamwork and having the emphasis on team boulder problems. It’s going to be a wicked time…
May 31st: Boulder Wall
May 31st from 6pm: Gym closed
June 1st: Gym closed for event. Spectators welcome!
This event is for everyone in a fun, relaxed, and supportive environment! If you’ve never climbed in a comp situation and want to give it a try, this is for you. If you’ve had some comp experience, this will be something that you’ve never seen before where you’ll have to trust your instincts, close your eyes, leap and hope you picked the right teammate. The competition itself is about working together with the people who spot you, belay you and cheer you on. Experience climbing as a team sport in this one of a kind competition.
Register as a team or sign up on your own (we’ll put you on a team) and face off against other teams with over 30 new boulder problems to try and our spicy-constructed team challenges…Register Now!
Defying Gravity: Climb together, fall together, stay together.
Date: Saturday, June 1st, 2019
Time: 9am – 10pm
$25 per person (register by May 11 at 11:59pm)
- $35 per person (after May 11)
- Climb as a team
- Come up with your own three-person team.
- You can also sign up as an individual: let us know when registering for the event and we’ll organize you to be on a team.
- Ages 10 and up are welcome to join!
- Earn points as a team by climbing boulder problems and taking part in our unique style of team challenges.
- The most points for all rounds gets your team to the finals! We’ll have a finals for the top 5 teams from all three team categories (Novice, Advanced, and Experts).
- Win the finals. Get an award, the glory, and, more importantly, the bragging rights!
9am – 530pm: We’ll have a 2.5 hour scramble format with the focus on hardest boulders topped and most boulders topped.
- 9am – Novice scramble *teams can be co-ed, all girls or all guys
- 11:30am – Advanced scramble *teams can be co-ed, all girls or all guys
- 2pm – Expert scramble *co-ed teams mandatory
6pm – 10pm: The Finals, food, fun, games, awards, and general hilarity to follow!
- Try all the team problems!
- Surprise social activity
- Enjoy hot dogs and beer
- Giant Jenga
- Swag Giveaways (We do our prizes randomized by who shows up, not by who is winning the comp)